- Stash weekly cleaning supplies in a caddy you can carry from room to room.
- Hang mops and brooms from a hanger in the laundry room or garage. This will keep your floor clear for a neater look and prevent your broom from getting damaged.
- Keep a “lost and found” box for anything of value you find. At the end of the week what is not claimed is either trashed or donated.
- To ward off pesky soap scum and water spots, wipe down the glass or fiberglass door with Rain-X Original Glass Treatment ($5 for a 16-ounce bottle), which is used on car windshields to keep them clear.
- As you bag the kitchen trash toss out any funky or spoiled food from the fridge.
- To prevent wrinkles hang up your clothes as soon as they come out of the dryer. For even better results spritz them with Niagra Wrinkle Releaser and Odor Eliminator, then smooth out the creases and hang up the garments.
- When sautéing protect the neighboring burners with pot lids. When you’ve finished, no need to scrub greasy grates, just pop the lids in to the dishwasher.
- Have the last person out of the shower to wipe down the tiles with a squeegee to prevent mildew and soap scum build-up for weeks, maybe even months.
- Wrap sloppy condiment bottles (olive oil, syrup, honey) with a paper towel and secure with a rubber band. This will prevent any drips from creating a sticky mess in your cabinets.
- To clean the mess inside your microwave squirt 2-3 drops of dishwashing liquid in a coffee cup and fill three quarters full with water. Microwave the cup for 2 minutes. Remove the cup (be careful, liquid will be hot) and wipe away the nasty food remains easily with a wet paper towel. No scrubbing required.
- To remove pet hair from upholstery, don a pair of rubber gloves, dampen them and run your hands over cushion (for silk use dry gloves).
- Keep an extra toothbrush by the kitchen sink to clean appliances like food processors and blenders.
- Attach sports schedules to the fridge or a stain removal chart to the dryer with new magnetic tape from Dowling Magnets ($6). Ultrathin and easy to tear this tape has a light adhesive on one side and peels off easily when you are finished displaying your photos or artwork.
- To easily clean that mildewy shower curtain liner try the Platinum Hotel Shower Curtain from Springmaid ($25). It zips off for easy cleaning in the washing machine. www.springmaid.com
- To scrub gunk off wooden cutting boards, glass baking dishes and pet bowls sprinkle a liberal amount of salt on a damp sponge and wipe.